Saturday, May 21, 2011

The Rapture and Religious Poetry

So according to Harold Camping, the Rapture is under five hours away. Essentially, the Rapture is based on a reading in Paul's epistles that takes about the Restrainer being removed and the Man of Lawlessness being revealed. There is a school of thought among some Christians popularized by the Left Behind novels (awful writing, awful theology, plain awful) that considers that Restrainer to be the indwelling Holy Spirit in Christians. In this model, essentially the Holy Spirit rises back to Christ and all the Christians go with him. This isn't the first time Camping declared that the Rapture was upon us the first time was in 1994. Some people never learn.

This made me reflect on the religious themed poems I have written. In some ways, I find these as hard to write as love poetry. It's very easy to fall into cliche, jargon, and sentimentality. While I consider myself a Christian, I think my poems on the subject would disturb those that hold similar beliefs.

I'll post a few of them individually, but so far I have:

A comparison of Cain killing Abel and God wiping out the world through flood

A look at Abraham asked to sacrifice his son reflecting on the destruction of Sodom and Gommorah

A consideration on what it means to made in God's image (2 poems):

--God is light, we are light

--God is a creator, we are creators

--The disciples reaction to Jesus calming the sea.

I wrote these poems over a period of five years and the quality and tone varies wildly. I'm not sure if I like all of them but I'll post them in separate entries to commerate another missed Rapture prediction.

I'm tempted to rewrite the Gospel of John in poetic form, and also to redo the parables. Maybe I'll use this blog for that.

No comments: